Project: Vogue 9820 (1959) Jacket, Part 6

Readers,

Just a little report on the progress of the leopard collar jacket.

I cut a stencil of the collar pattern piece from heavy paper and laid it on the velveteen to preview the look before I cut into the fabric. This leopard print varies from dark in the middle to lighter toward each end, and I wanted the pattern to be balanced.

Before cutting the fabric, I laid a stencil on the fabric to preview. Not a necessary step, but fun.

Before cutting the fabric, I laid a stencil on the fabric to preview. Not a necessary step, but fun.

I have done similar things–cut out a window from plain, heavy paper–to preview the look of a plaid pocket flap I considered cutting on the bias. I’ve found this easy, useful, informative and fun.

All these years I’ve hesitated to chop into fabric that’s close to irreplaceable. This stencil/window thing is a little trick to nudge me toward taking the big step of cutting.

Another preview I did, just for fun, was to lay the velveteen on my wearable test jacket, folding under the seam allowances. Now I have a pretty good idea of the impact of the leopard print pattern as part of the overall garment. It is certainly eye-catching, but it looks like it will be in balance.

Preview: the velveteen collar piece laid onto the wearable test with the seam allowance tucked under. I am liking this!

Preview: the velveteen collar piece laid onto the wearable test with the seam allowance tucked under. I am liking this!

I cut the wool-cashmere pattern pieces yesterday, working around the moth-holey parts of the yardage. (I bought this fabric second-hand–buyer beware!)  Luckily, there was more than enough intact material for this project.

The handy dandy leopard collar jacket kit. Easy assembly!

The handy dandy leopard collar jacket kit. Easy assembly!

I pulled a milk-chocolate brown lining from my stash. Interfacings are next.

A few steps closer.

A few steps closer.

This entry was posted in Sewing Projects and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One thought on “Project: Vogue 9820 (1959) Jacket, Part 6

Comments are closed.