I had time before my next coat-making class session to make a muslin of my next project, this 1944 trench coat by Du Barry.
Normally I find making muslins a tedious business, but I’ve changed my tune with this one. It’s been exciting to reconstitute a little piece of mid-’40s fashion. Look at those lapels! And those shoulders! So period!
Some pattern alterations are in order:
- Shortening the sleeves
- Taking some ease out of the sleeve cap to solve the puckering problem
- Taking some width out of the back above the waist.
- Possibly reducing the space allowed for the shoulder pads
I will try on this muslin in class and get feedback from teacher Michele and my classmates.
Now to rifle through the stash for a wearable test fabric.