Tuesday Jack finished painting the east end of the sewing space. He so wanted me to have my space back that after dinner he rolled on the second coat. It dried overnight, and Wednesday morning we moved as much back into the space as we could.
It’s probably fair to say that organizing and beautifying the sewing domain is 80 percent done. What’s left to do is mainly for our builder to finish:
- Sand and restain the stairs
- Install a carpet runner
- Install a new handrail
- Build shelves in the alcove
- Hang my pegboard, which holds a lot of my equipment
- Hang my vintage French dry goods store sign
Oh, and, very last thing, have the carpet cleaned. It’s taken a beating.
I’m writing this from my planning corner. I missed it the last few weeks when we were pulling down the wallpaper and preparing the walls for paint. Defining functions and then creating zones for them works!
It’s when I look at my “before” pictures that I see how much I was putting up with and how far the sewing domain has come.
And when an improved space works so well for me, I wonder what was so hard about designing it that it took me this long. It’s easy to forget all the function-defining, deciding, and prioritizing that preceded it. I had to get away from runway-level actions and look at what I wanted to accomplish from the 30,000-foot level.
- Move my sewing library into the alcove after Daniel builds adjustable shelves.
- Edit my patterns down from those three bankers’ boxes to two, and store them in the cabinet.
- Rehang the cabinet doors, which I removed to accommodate my boxes of patterns.
- Edit a shoebox of clippings from sewing and fashion magazines.
Tomorrow In a few minutes Daniel is coming to rehang my pegboard. Yay!