Select Page

Readers,

My muslin of the leopard collar jacket has come together pretty quickly–a pleasant surprise.

Even a mockup made with scrap fabric can animate the imagination.

Even a mockup made with scrap fabric can animate the imagination.

I used some of my maddening flower-printed stretch cotton left over from my Advance blouse project as a stand-in for the leopard-printed velveteen. (I say maddening because only minutes after I press it, it goes wrinkly on me again.)  The print gives me a better sense than a plain fabric would of the impact of a big, patterned collar.

Coming or going, this is one sharp jacket!

Coming or going, this is one sharp jacket!

I ask you, is this a fun jacket or what?

I love this generously cut collar.

I love this generously cut collar.

IMG_3720 (345x460)

This pattern has waited since at least 2002 to be sewn!

I will bring this muslin to the coat-making class starting at Treadle Yard Goods Saturday. I’ll ask the teacher, Michele Hoaglund, to check the fit on me, and I can make any pattern adjustments under her watchful eye.

Between now and class I’ll scribble down some questions to get answered. The instructions call for sewing in the lining by hand. No way! Michele will remind me how to insert the lining by machine. I’ll also get advice on interfacings, thread, topstitching…all of these details, done well, contribute to a more beautiful result.

The excitement is building!